Day 3: Whitehorse to Skagway, 132 miles
http://goo.gl/maps/oN22
We had an awesome day today! It began... very slowly. As in, I very slowly rolled out of bed long after the alarm went off. I resorted some clothes so I no longer haul suitcase, briefcase, backpack, and laundry bag out of the car each night, and then we got baked. Er... We got Baked. :D I got my hot chocolate fix and after some breakfast panini's and a scone to go, we headed for the South Klondike Highway! We took the scenic route past Miles Canyon again and I got a few photos with more sun than last night.
Next, Emerald Lake! Oooh, but first, we stopped in at Kookatsoon Lake and hit the playground! Pics to come soon, I swear. Of all three days. I was very psyched for Kookatsoon Lake because really... say it out loud and then imagine driving past it for two summers and never being able to stop... sigh. so yay! Not a very impressive lake... but a good slide. No hands!
Next, Carcross, Yukon Territory for a city tour (Mathew was very stoic throughout the bad jokes and old stories). Then south, along Yukon's Southern Lakes to Tormented Valley. To get an idea of how it got its name, just imagine the prospectors of 1897 and put your hand on the window.... Can ya feel the pain? Er... the pain rather. Lol, Are you missing out or what?
We hiked around Tormented Valley a bit, which I've been waiting or months to do. Gorgeous and dramatic scenery! Then to Skagway, with views of the WPYR Train across the White Pass and fabulous waterfalls.
A wander around Skagway, lunch at Glacial Smoothies and then to the Gold Ruch Cemetary and Soapy Smith's Grave. And then Dyea! Despite rumors, it's a good road and we made it all the way there, it was awesome! Nothing left really, but wow! So much history.
We decided to stay the night here in Skagway and found the Historic Skagway Inn. Adorable! We're in the Birdie Room! It's a B&B, so yum in the morning. Dinner with Tator Tots at the Skagway Brew Co.
Ok... Sweeney Todd is on, so hugs and love, and goodnight!
No comments:
Post a Comment