Day 4: Skagway, AK to Dease Lake, BC, 480 miles
http://goo.gl/maps/bYI3
We made it to British Columbia and the Cassiar Highway! We headed up the South Klondike this morning and then took the Tagish Road to the Alaska Highway, which was interesting, because I've never been on the Tagish Road and have several friends who winter there. Then on down to the Cassiar Highway, with stops at amazing places like Squanga Lake (really, these places have the best names...).
We also stopped at the start of North Canol Road and read some interesting information about it. They planned $30 million for it... and spent $134 million! And then it was used for only about a year. Mathew said runaway spending like that during WWII and after is why GAO, the office he works for, was established... So I guess thank you to mistaken government spending? Lol. Right near that stop was one of the few "permanent" bridges built on the Alaska Highway in 1942, the Teslin Bridge.
I told Mathew the repeater tower joke, another classic, and we used it many more times in other days. Ask me some day and I'll tell you the joke. Ask me some day and I'll tell you the joke. Ask me some day and I'll tell you the joke. Ask me some day and I'll tell you the joke. Lol. There ya go! It's actually. "Know what that is? It's a repeater tower. A repeater tower. That's a repeater tower. Over there is a repeater tower..." We did get in a little walk/hike at Rancheria Falls, which was short and nice. The sign for it was priceless... It described the path and boardwalk and it says "path designed for the physically challenged." Yeah... except for the several inch drops from each section of boardwalk, and the roots in the dirt portions of trail!
We stared at the temperature all day and decided late in the game to forgo freezing and stay in a hotel in Dease Lake.
But first... dinner at "Wolf It Down" where we learned the extensive history of Nugget City... Which bagan way back in 1987. Lol, that's right, 1987, as in less than 30 years ago. Less than 25.... Then on down the Cassiar... Almost! Mathew heard my sigh of "oh well, next time..." and "missed" the turnoff so we could go see the Sign Post Forest :-) Jeff Powell if you're reading this, you were so wrong, the detour to the Sign Post Forest was totally worth it! More on that when I get my act together and have pictures. But a new item on my bucket list: return to Watson Lake and add to Sign Post Forest!
And then, finally, we headed for Dease Lake and comfy beds, with only a few brief stops, one for the "Welcome to British Columbia" Sign, and one to get some great shots of a lake with moonlight! And now... bedtime!
Wow this sounds much more fun than my trips... maybe I should take my time the next go round. Tell Matthew I said hello (and tell him to be on his best behavior).
ReplyDelete